Finnish Family Getaway
Day 1 Welcome to Finland
Arrival at Kuusamo airport and coach transfer to Hossa village located at the entrance to Hossa National Park (about 1 hour) - we will escort you to your accommodation where you can enjoy dinner together with your guide.
Day 2 Hiking the Julma-Ölkky canyon
After a short transfer, today we will hike around Julmä-Ölkky canyon. This canyon is well known for its spectacular gorges and stunning views of the lakes and Taiga. For lunch we can enjoy a Finnish style picnic around a fire.
Days 3 to 4 Canoeing Hossanjoki River
This morning, we leave for a 2-day wilderness adventure with our canoes and tents. We will go all the way to the famous colourful cliffs of Värikallio where we can observe well preserved cave paintings from 4000 BC. Then we will paddle with the river to the east of the National Park where reindeers and moose roam freely. We will search for these elegant animals, bathe in the waters and pick wild berries to go with our dinner. We will spend one night camping like Finnish trappers - a chance to learn ancient Finnish bushcraft skills and to enjoy some traditional campfire stories.
Accommodation: Day 3 - tents & day 4 - hostel
Day 5 Free day
After two days of canoeing, today is a chance to relax. We have lots of optional activities available for your free day... you can go fishing and swimming in the lake, enjoy the sauna and go hiking or go mountain biking or discover our kennels with our 164 lovely dogs...
Optional yoga courses:
- Forestyoga: the perfect way to connect with the Finnish nature, breath in the pure refreshing air and calm your body and mind. The beautiful ridges and pine forests of Hossa offer a spacious and luminous yoga hall, where the nature traveller can find a tranquil spot for a moment to enjoy yoga exercises for all abilities.
- Saunayoga: Together the slow rhythm of movements, the silence and dimness of sauna and the gentle warmth create a sensation of deep relaxation. Saunayoga increases circulation and enhances metabolism, which contributes to detoxification and purification of the body.
Duration: 1hour (30 minutes yoga)
- Finnish Wilderness bath: This interesting excursion is a lovely dive into Hossas own 'Green Spa' with magnificent views of the lakes and ridges. You can experience the invigorating health effects of the natural environment and the sauna whilst doing easy yoga and concentrating on mindfulness.
Activities: Various optional activities (recommended Yoga classes)
Day 6 Dog walking in Lavajärvi
Today we will go hiking with the dogs in the beautifully preserved National Park. Try Inuit dog walking techniques, harness up to one of our energetic huskies and feel their energy as together you explore this stunning wilderness area - an intimate and unforgettable experience. Today is a real opportunity to learn more about these typical animals from the Far North and this evening we will enjoy a dinner cooked on a wood fire at the edge of the lake.
Activities: 4 - 5 hours of walking
Day 7 Optional bear- watching
Today is a free day with the opportunity to join a bear watching tour in the South of the boreal forest, close to Russia. This area has more brown bears that anywhere else in Europe and the bear watching conditions are second to none. For those who do not want to take part to this activity we have lots of other recommendations including a visit to a nearby museum about predators. We are spoilt for choice here in terms of activities, perhaps you want to go mountain biking, hiking or canoeing; wild swimming, fishing, or perhaps you want to spend the day relaxing by the edge of the Hossanjarvï Lake...
NB: Bear-watching is only available until mid-august
Replacement recommended activity: Museum visit
Day 8 Trappers day
Discover how to be a Finnish trapper for the day! Today we will learn different bushcraft skills including Finnish shelter buidling and fishing techniques. At lunch time we will build our own fires to cook our catches. This afternoon we will visit a local reindeer farm - an opportunity to learn more about these typical Finnish animals.
Day 9 Flight back home
Transfer to Kuusamo airport and flights home.
Other trips you may like
Dates & prices
Departures for French-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
No departure for now
Trip code: A5
- Transfers from/to Kuusamo airport
- All accommodation: hostel accommodation & 1 night camping
- All technical equipment needed including camping and canoeing gear
- Full board from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 9
- Hiking Julma-Ölkky canyon
- Finnish dog walking in the National Park
- A 2 day canoeing expedition
- Two free days to choose a range of optional activities best suited to your family (bear-watching/yoga/mountain biking)
- Hands-on Finnish trapper bushcraft survival skills lessons
- Traditional fishing lessons and opportunities
- Activities supervised by our expert guides (bear-watching/yoga are run by qualified English-speaking locals)
- Accommodation upgrade - hotel/cottage options possible depending on availabilities: prices vary
- Reindeer farm visit: €10 or farm visit with dinner €40
- Bear-watching: prices vary
- Museum visit: payable locally
- Yoga lessons: prices vary
Comfort: 4/5 Comfortable
Level: 2/5 Moderate
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
- At the Hostel: Generous buffet style breakfasts and dinners with hot drinks and lots of options are served at the hostel
- Lunches: Picnic lunches are provided on our activity days including hot food cooked on wood fires
- On expedition: We like when the whole group work as a team to cook a traditional style dinner over the fire with their guide during our nights in tents - it creates a pleasant atmosphere as we reflect on the days adventures together. We will have the chance to forage for berries and mushrooms and to go fishing to add to our meals.
Budget & exchange
- Personal expenses and extra drinks
- Any additional activities/supplements
- Deposits will be required for use of some of our technical equipment like sleeping bags
- Bedding and towels
- linen for hotel/cottage accommodation and warm sleeping bags & sleeping mats for camping
- Tents and group camping equipment
- Canoeing gear including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Protective waterproof bags for your belongings during our canoeing expedition
- A sleeping bag liner
- Sturdy walking boots
- Sunglasses (minimum UV 400)
- Sun cream
- Any personal medication
- A headtorch with spare batteries (from August)
- A suitable water bottle/flask (min 1L)
Our advice for keeping warm
- No cotton
- Bring dry spares of everything, including underwear and gloves
- Wear multiple layers including:
- A warm breathable base layer
- A second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layer (we provide a quality jacket and over trousers for activities)
- A pair of rubber boots or water shoes for canoeing and to cross rivers
- Wool socks
- A wind and waterproof jacket with a hood
- A warm jacket
- Warm fleece/jumper
- Suitable underwear and thermals
- Waterproof trousers
- A swimsuit
- Suitable t-shirts, trousers & shorts
- A hat or cap
- A towel for the sauna
- Appropriate pyjamas
- A pair of gloves
- Slippers or comfortable shoes for in the hostel
- Bug spray/mosquito net
- Blister plasters
- A camera (and suitable protective case)
- Plastic bags for wet/dirty clothing
- A knife
- Toilet paper + lighter
- A Notepad and pencil
- Be prepared
- Stick to trails and camp overnight right
- Stash your trash and pick up waste
- Leave it as you find it
- Be careful with fire
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors