Back country skiing along the Russian border
Day 1 Journey and welcoming dinner
Transfer by bus or by car to Hossa (about 1 hour), at the gates of the park. Settle down in your log cottage or in your hotel room. First night, the team greet you at the restaurant upon a welcoming dinner.
Accommodation: Cottage or hotel
Day 2 Start of the ski expedition
The first morning is dedicated to the equipment preparation that you carefully organize with your guide. After a short car transfer, we start our trek. We leave for six days in absolute autonomy with back-country skis, throughout Lappish taiga. We have 15km daily stages, which are designed in order to discover all ecosystems. Every night we sleep in a solid MESS tent with wood-stove. This type of accommodation enables us to be even deeper in the Finnish wilderness and to enjoy the best aurora borealis (quite frequent in the heart of arctic winter).
Day 3 Kovavaraa hill
Today we move closer to the Russian border, sometimes through passages of underbrush, sometimes on crossings petrified lakes. We end the day with the ascension of Kovavaara's hill allowing us to get a little height in order to contemplate the vastness of the Finnish taiga.
Day 4 Along the Russian Border until Vieremajärvi lake
Today we ski along the Russian border much of the day. Soon, we plunge into the deep taiga and it will take some effort to make our mark and open the tracks. Advancing silently away from beaten tracks, we will may have the chance to observe the local wildlife: black grouse, ptarmigan, hare, fox ...
Day 5 Paasovaara
Today we move away from the Russian border and go a little further west towards the Hossa's National Park. On the way, stand a few hills but also many small and closed kettles lakes, geological relics from the Ice Age.
Day 6 From the Peaks to Hossaari
Today we enter into Hossa National Park. We start the day by climbing peaks (spreading for hundreds of kilometers, then we will continue our journey through various lakes and forest to the Trapper's hut of Hossaari where we will spend the night.
Day 7 Hossa's frozen lakes crossings
Here we are already on our way back after an expedition full of adventure and discovery! This morning we take our ski one last time to make the crossing of the lakes back to the base camp. A last glimpse of its vast white emptiness and silence before getting back to civilization.
Accommodation: Cottage or hotel
Day 8 Transfer
Breakfast and transfer back to Kuusamo airport.
Dates & prices
Departures for French-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
No departure for now
Trip code: S1
- Airport transfers to/from Kuusamo airport
- 2 nights in cottage accommodation
- 1 night in trappers huts
- 4 nights in a tent
- Sauna access most evenings
- Full board from day 1 dinner to breakfast day 8
- Activities supervised by Northern Wilderness professional guides
- All technical equipment needed including cold weather clothing (see 'practical info' / 'equipment' for details)
- Single room at the hotel: €220 pp.
- Visit to our kennels: free
- Local reindeer farm visit: €12
Comfort: 3/5 Various
Level: 4/5 Challenging
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
- For lunch, you will enjoy a picnic with wood-fire grilled food
- For your nights in trapper cabin or tent you will prepare and share a dinner together with your guide
- The « Classical » cottage, with an only room with living room/kitchen, twin or bunked beds, private bathroom and sauna
- High protection sunglasses
- Personal medicine kit
- Sun-cream (from the end of February)
- Vaseline or waterfree mosturising cream
- A headlamp
- A thermos, in order to always have some hot beverage with you while practicing the activities. For lunch, the guide will provide you with hot beverages.
- Boots (type SOREL) are issued on arrival and are yours throughout the week
- For snowmobile safaris : overalls and helmet
- For dogsledge safaris : winter jacket for extreme cold and leather mittens
- For each bivouac night spent in a trapper cabin: sleeping bag
- Waterproof shoes, winter hiking shoes, sports shoes or snow boots (for evening wear)
- Woolen socks
- Warm winter jacket (ski jacket or down jacket
- Ski trousers or ski overalls
- Warm pull-overs or fleece jackets
- Warm baselayer thermals : very important. Thin technical fibers as Carline or Polartec are extremely efficient.
- Expedition waterproof mitten/gloves and fitted silk gloves
- Woolen hat
- Hool, Balaclava
- Swimming suit (sauna)
- Microfiber towel (sauna)
- A sleeping bag linr for each overnight in trapper cabin (it goes into the sleeping bag that we lend you, for hygienic reasons)
- Your driving licence (compulsory when you drive a snowmobile)
- A credit card : we make a copy of it that is used as a deposit for all the equipment provided